Duration: (7 Nights and 8 Days Treks)
This trek route is officially called “JOMOLHARI TREKS 1,” but also called Jomolhari Circuit treks or Yaksa Treks. It is one of the beautiful high altitudes treks in Bhutan; where one get opportunity to see all the Eastern Himalayans Mountains Ranges and India’s highest Mountain, Kanchendzonga. The treks goes in three isolated yak herders valley in Gangothang and Soe Yaksa, where trekkers will get great chance to visit their houses and interact with nomadic peoples.
Day 1 Paro
Enter Bhutan amidst its breathtaking landscape from Kathmandu, Kolkata or Bagdro – and take in sights of some of the world’s tallest peaks, Everest, Kanchen Dzonga, Lhotshe and Jomalhari. You will be warmly received by our friendly, traditionally dressed representative with the offering of a white welcome scarf.
- Transfer to hotel in Paro (about 25-minute drive from airport).
- Arrival at hotel and relax with welcome tea followed by check-in at hotel.
- Stroll around Paro town, which was developed after the airport was built in 1983.
- Visit Ta Dzong (watch tower) which was built in 1649 by Paro Governor Tenzin Drugda to protect the fortress below. The Ta Dzong was almost destroyed in 1965 but was restored by the third king Jigme Dorji Wangchuk into the National Museum of Bhutan in 1968.
- Visit Paro Dzong which was built in 1646 by Zhabdrung Rimpoche. It was built to protect Paro Valley from frequent Tibetan invasions. Today this Dzong serves as the administrative office of Paro district and houses 110 monks.
- Visit Kichu Lhakhang which was founded by Tibetan king Songtshen Gyambo in 659 AD. It was built to subjugate the demon occupied lands all over the Himalayas and prevented the spread of Buddhism. The king built 108 temples in a day to overcome the demon.
- Over night hotel in Paro.
Day 2 Paro
- Hike to Tiger Nest Monastery, the holiest monastery in the Buddhist World
Day 3 Treks
- Drukgyal Dzong to Shana.
- Drukgyel Dzong, end of peace road, trekking crews and pack horses will meet. Trails follow farm road and through farm road till Metshena Suspension bridge. Gradual climb through the rice field for two hours and reach to Chorten, it is good sport for lunch sport. Trail follow through pine wood forest and reach to Army check post where required special treks route permit from Army Head Quarter. After 10 minutes cross the nether suspension bridge to left side of Paro chu. Thirty minutes to reach to camp.
Day 4 Treks
- Shana to Thathangka
- Today is longest and hard day. The trail is rough and stony with many rises and drops through different vegetation zone. Crossing Paro River two time till reach to camp site.
Day 5 Treks
- Thathangka to Jangothang
- One hour walk from camp reached to Army camp. After army camp trail goes through wide open river valley pass by many yak herder permanent houses.
Day 6 Halt
- Halt day explore around in many different direction. There are five different places can explore around. Or take rest and do laundry.
Day 7 Treks
- Jangothang to Yaksa
- Walk northern direction toward the houses, reaching at first house where there is trail junction on the right side. Cross the river and steep climb to yaks herder camp. From here one hour walk to two beautiful lakes with teeming fishes. From the end of first lake trail start climbing through the rock fall. Bongtay La Pass(4890m), is the highest pass on this treks. From pass trail drops through a steep and narrow valley. Camp site on the other side of Yaksa chu crossing the wooden bridge.
Day 8 Treks
- Yaksa to Thambu
- Trail goes into the forest and start gradually start climb through the fir forest till reach to cairn marked with pilled up stones and small prayer flags. From these cairns(view point) take two hour walk to Tagulung La Pass(4540m), on clear day see Jomolhari, Jichudraki, Tsheringang, and far distance Mt Kanchendzonga(8586m). Trail gradually drop down to camp.
Day 9 Treks
- Thambu to Shana
- Camp climb to Thambu La pass(4275m), follow the ridge for half hour and start steep decent down hill all the way to Army camp.
Day 10 Treks
- Shana to Drukgyel
- Follow the same route of first day treks but it is easier going down. Takes four hour to reach Drukgyel to have refreshment and transfer to hotel.
- Over night hotel in Paro.